Monday 19 September 2011

NO PLACE FOR LORDS

Day 3. Raining, cool and misty. Raglan doesn't resemble my memories of a November visit when it was much more equable. But good to overnight on a powered site and enjoy a warm shower. The camp site is situated between the harbour and the sea and must accommodate considerable numbers of caravanners in season. A few Welsh stragglers are on site along with a few French.
How does such a small, off the main track village get the name of Raglan-assume it is named after Lord Raglan, the English commander in the Crimean war and who bequeathed us those famous round shouldered sleeves?? Nothing very lordly about the place nor its inhabitants.
One of the main cafes that impressed me last time served up the knd of breakfast that really starts ones day( and probably contributes to the danger of latter day heart stopping) A latte was served in a cup(bowl) so big-I wondered aloud why Kiwis are not inspired to be swimming champions.Its only downside was the lack of free wi-fi, but then seeing the state of some of the backpackers outside this may have been the result of a deliberat strategy to repel the wrong kind of boarders.
In the library it was a diffferent matter and librarians had to keep tight control of seating on chairs(not on the floor) as demand outstripped supply. At last I caught up on AFL news-the Eagles stopped a late Carlton surge and have to face Geelong for a final berth. Go Eagles!!! I hope Father George Markotsis up in Brisbane, whose roar can be heard in Melbourne when Carlton is winning, has returned his heart rate to normal after the nail-biting finish. As expected the Aussie sports writers were less than forgiving of the feeble Wallaby performance. Otherwise the Tony and Julia show grinds on.
The weather continued unconducive to beach walking and at last, getting down to some planning for the next phase of my trip I realised that unless I set off for Christchurch tomorrow I will be unable to fit it in between games back in Auckland that I haveI have booked(now none will be played in Christchurch). So that's the end of the plan to do nothing for 4 days and I will set off in the wee smalls tomorrow down to Wellington and the inter-island ferry. I will have to defer a trip to Art Deco Napier until after the next Auckland match and maybe leave out Nelson( another of my favourites).
The Kiwis feel about Australians much as Aussies feel about the English. Only when the former play the latter do the Kiwis barrack for the Wallabies. So I am suffering double jeapordy and have confirmed the wisdom of getting out before the final because it might be uncomfortable, whether the All Blacks win or loose.
Early dinner in the pub-delightful Green Lip Mussel starter in a delicate chowder with a touch of chilli-no closed-shell servings here and only $11 NZ!!
Lamb shank and herb-crusted mash for mains,cooked quite differently to my mother's long ago Manchester sunday roasts with salt and pepper as the only spice and with mint in vinegar sauce. Dear Mam.
Now that novel one is in the hands of the publishers I am enjoying a change of pace by editing and planning the closing chapter of the second. If I can find some space between break-neck travelling, I may have it finished for my return. Then it's either the last of the trilogy or a start on Victoria's twins.
Early night planned and early morning fast start down the main south highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment